Thursday, March 28, 2013

#9 Self-Regulation/Efficacy

In my high school cases study the students are not interested and are simply ready to graduate.  This situation is very realistic and will be faced by all of us teachers.  I would try to convince the students that they need to learn the information I am teaching and can use it in the future.  Of course saying that the information is valuable and proving is two different things.  In order to keep them on task and help them realize the importance, I will help them self-regulate.  This being one of the last classes they need prior to graduation will benefit my goals for them.  I will help them set out a series of goals for the class so they may get something from the class.  Otherwise, they will only coast through the class causing distractions and not learning.  If I can help them set realistic short-term goals, they will become more involved in the class and in turn will cause less disruption.  Trying to make the students understand the importance of the class for graduation will help them appreciate the achievement of completing high school.  By talking to them about finishing on a good note and tackling this class with enthusiasm, I will help raise their self-efficacy.  The sensation of graduating is one thing, but gradutating with a high GPA is a totally different sense of accomplishment. 
The following link leads to a discussion about the core strengths that are essential to life.  I think it is important fo us to realize that these concepts that we are portraying in our classrooms relate to everyday life.  If we can associate some of these ideas to outside of the classroom students may accept them more often and translate them into their classroom habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment