Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Metacognition Lesson

The first thing I came across during a google search was this web page that leads to an activity a teacher did in her 2nd grade class.  I think this activity is amazing and could work at many different ages.  The activity described helped me come up with an activity that would be useful in my high school math class.  Sometimes math can be hard to understand, point blank.  However, I believe using different techniques and activities can help students relate to the material.  In a geometry class, I could use a meta cognitive activity to help the students understand.  A lower level geometry class would require students to be able to construct different polygons via angles.  I could start a lesson by reviewing angles with the students.  This will allow the students to question how much they remember about angles and if they need further explanation.  Once the angle review is completed, I would move into the actual lesson.  I would have the students construct different polygons using their knowledge of angles.  Hopefully, I would have access to different materials to have my students construct the shapes physically, rather than simply drawing.  This activity will require true understanding of the rules and laws associated with angles and shapes.  If the students do not fully understand, they will have trouble constructing more complex polygons, i.e. something other than a square or triangle.  However, the knowledge of triangles and squares can help them create a different object.  In essence, this activity will require constant use of meta cognitive skills.

3 comments:

  1. I like the cartoon you included. I think it's a good idea to have them construct the shapes physically; hands on and interactive are such a great way to learn in my opinion.

    I wrote about our activity from our teaching project. I thought it was a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cartoon is great! I think it's important that you break down math into the rules and laws - none of my teachers ever stressed that it was rule-based, and I think that would have helped me more. Using real objects to construct the shapes is also great, and will definitely have your class involved.

    ReplyDelete